Protecting interests of Kosovo citizens abroad
Kosovo authorities are responsible for protection of Kosovo citizens’ interest, who temporarily live or are in the territory of the United Kingdom or Ireland.
Assistance that can be offered from the consular service consists of:
1. Offering assistance to Kosovo citizens in extraordinary circumstances;
The assistance can be offered only when it has been verified that the citizen in difficulty, DOES NOT possess at the same time the citizenship of the receiving state. Offering assistance in extraordinary circumstances, such as natural disasters or high risk events, will be extended to other members of the family of the citizens.
2. Offering assistance to prisoners or those with legal problems in the receiving country;
In case of arrest, the closing or opening of investigation by the authorities of the receiving state, Kosovo citizens, who DO NOT HAVE citizenship of the United Kingdom or Ireland, have the right to inform the Consular Service and to seek relevant assistance, which consists of:
• Informing the family of arrest;
• Addressing a defense lawyer, or
• Requesting intervention of the domestic authorities in cases where violations of human rights are observed.
Note: A Consular Officer by no means can serve as a legal representative of the arrested citizen.
3. Offering assistance for the return of Kosovo citizens who have died in the United Kingdom and Ireland and ensuring the protection of their property.
In the case of the death of Kosovo citizens in the territory of the United Kingdom and Ireland, the Consular Service can offer lists of funeral undertakers and issue the necessary documentation for the return of the body of the deceased person.
Note: The Consular Service cannot cover the expenses of repatriation of the body.